Monday, September 27, 2010

You, NOT Them

You, not them is the seventh key to great mentoring according to A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver Van DeMille. I not only see Mentoring as a part of my child's education but also in my parenting. If I look at what Pam Leo calls 'old tapes' to see what is the root of my action or more typically reaction I can parent and teach my child how to make better choices.

What dose this mean for us more importantly me. It means that I need to work on my self first. I need to go into my head and root out the what and why, I am fill in the blank. Why do I want to start PreSchool with my two and a half year old? Why dose her whining, constant whys, ignoring me when I say stop make me what to lash out? What makes me start blogs or writing and then quit? So many more and so little space on the page.

So, what to do? Mope, cry just parent or educate your kid they way you were?

My Answer No! Stop you can make a choice. It's not always going to be the easiest or emotionally safest but change. Focus not on your child's actions or education but your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment